Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Other speakers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Other speakers

    CLAIR . Old company from the 60's. Was listening to their sound test with U2. Big and Loud not much refinement. What happen to alluminium phragms.! !

    Those line arrays reach quite a distance with high SPL. But there's that something missing that only Altec has.Clear RESOLUTION.

    Now that Meyer has converted to Alluminium . JBL with Berylium.It's a wake up call.


    ...........................

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    Other speakers


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,261
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Other speakers

    Roger Waters concert I went to in 2008 used Clair Bros.Arrays.From where I was sitting they didn't sound bad.I snapped this picture of it.I was sitting right under it.

    5
    Last edited by Altec Best; July 10th, 2011 at 07:46 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Other speakers

    They are good speakers. The Digital mixer Digico has it`s limits and who is behind the board makes a difference. I still prefer analogue like Midas 4 series. Maybe Yamaha digital PM5 for stage monitors. At least 2 Analogue boards for FOH if your using Rock band plus orchestra.Analogue amps to. that is the signal to the amps should be analogue.

    These world tours; Rock bands cut corners on material weight. Try to lift a MIdas board. So they will go with Digico or Studer instead.
    Last edited by LICORNE; July 12th, 2011 at 12:08 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Other speakers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Other speakers

    Clair builds their own boxes but outsource drivers. They have always done good Live audio...

    Same with Ratt Sound...own boxes (Ratt Traps) but outside drivers.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #5
    HB Super Moderator
    Other speakers


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,261
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Other speakers

    Quote Originally Posted by LICORNE View Post
    These world tours; Rock bands cut corners on material weight. Try to lift a MIdas board. So they will go with Digico or Studer instead.
    I can tell you first hand Roger Waters Shows do not cut corners.I remember seeing all the tractor trailers 18 in all, and I got a tour of the back stage from Jon Carin the keyboard,slide guitar player of all the equipment.The crew was like 200 guys.Our local radio station 93.3 WMMR went through all the logistics of putting that show on and it was ridiculous. I snapped this one of Jon Backstage, this time we where in Denver,Co. on 4/30/08 the first picture was from the Wachovia Center in Philly.The amount of equipment was staggering for the that show "Dark Side Of The Moon Tour".His tour now "The Wall" is even bigger.

    6

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Other speakers

    Clair builds their own boxes but outsource drivers. They have always done good Live audio...
    They did some magic with the Carver PM 2.0 power amps too. Not all that long ago someone had a few of their clamshell amp racks for sale still loaded with the dozen working Clair modded 2.0's.

    I have long been a fan of the mammoth S4 box. Do a google image search for "clair s4", 10 JBL drivers per box, they're big, they're louder than stink, and they sound very very good when properly processed and amplified. I'd post a pic, but since i'm a new member i can't post links or pics for 3 days.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Other speakers

    Quote Originally Posted by BBC454SS View Post
    They did some magic with the Carver PM 2.0 power amps too. Not all that long ago someone had a few of their clamshell amp racks for sale still loaded with the dozen working Clair modded 2.0's.

    I have long been a fan of the mammoth S4 box. Do a google image search for "clair s4", 10 JBL drivers per box, they're big, they're louder than stink, and they sound very very good when properly processed and amplified. I'd post a pic, but since i'm a new member i can't post links or pics for 3 days.
    Here is a picture of the S4 I hope. This speaker is from the 80'S .................................................. ............................


    7
    Last edited by LICORNE; July 12th, 2011 at 12:10 PM.

  8. #8
    HB Super Moderator
    Other speakers


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,261
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Other speakers

    No, I think it is 3 posts, just make posts 123 one after another, and you will be able to post those pics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.